Thursday, June 1, 2017

Day 6 - The Most Brutal Day of Biking Ever for Me!!

Where to start?!   The initial 10km climb right out of bed or the twin 10k climbs that followed shortly thereafter?!   Gradients hit 13%.   Not fun!   Add to that 40km start another 1,500m climb over 100km.  Ugh.  Hated the final 30km even though it was somewhat flat.  Body was done.  I was exhausted and sick to the stomach from a combination of electrolyte tabs, jerky, peanuts, gels and bananas.  Blech!!!



We rode from SW Rwanda near the lake due East through the rain forest, arriving in Huye

That said, when we entered the rain forest at about 40km, it was exhilarating.  Just jaw dropping nature at its finest.  Right now I am flat out on my bed, forgetting about the various throbbing pains by eating cherry cola gummies that I found in Istanbul airport.  Ahhhh.   

Hard to say if today was toughest day ever on a bike, as I did pace myself conservatively.  It was certainly my most painful though.  Nearly 8 hours in the saddle after 5 previous similar days.....just painful to sit on the saddle and painful to get up and adjust.  Searing pain when I would get up to adjust in fact.  Right now I have zero interest in seeing my bike tomorrow morning. ZERO!!!!

Good Morning Day 6!!!! (ugh I want to go back to sleep!!!)

No nervous tension here about Day 6


Hard to describe how beautiful the rain forest is


Trust me - it is gorgeous!!



Simon's message to Olive Tree School re their Beach Run for Burundi



 Shout Out to Olive Tree School for their organizing a Beach Run to Raise Money for Biking for Burundi!

Peddling away in the final hour of the day - whew!!


No comments:

Post a Comment