Sunday, May 4, 2014

A bit about my training and on bike preparation

My training over the past six weeks, as a few people have asked about how I have prepared (or IF I have trained!).  I have also added a strava gadget to the right that will keep  postings of my rides.  I am not sure if my garmin gps will work in Burundi, nor if we will have internet access with which to upload the rides there.  I certainly hope so though as I love the stats/information that strava tracks.

That 32km ride in late March I remember as being such a "big" thing, but now it is nothing.  I ramped up the week after Easter to nearly 300k and 3,800 elevation, which is about half of what the week in Burundi will be.  It did not leave me dragging terribly, so I think I am physically ready for Burundi, but this week I will pound it hard until Friday before getting the bike cleaned up, taken apart and packed for the flight on the 13th.

My training has been greatly helped by Manuel, a friend from Vilanova with whom I have rode a majority of the above rides.  We met by chance one day and as he is a policeman with tough hours, he has most afternoons free to ride.  More importantly, he is experienced both in terms of riding and in terms of all the local routes and roads.  Thus, a great deal of my preparation I owe to his guidance (thanks Manuel!!).


My bike is a 2013 Specialized Roubaix, which I bought use in January off of EBAY in the States (we were in Miami for Mark Iantosca's wedding).  Alex Alexandrov was my guide in terms of choosing a bike and I certainly could not have a better bike in my view.  I love it.  It is lightweight (9lbs?) and really has been a perfect bit of kit in getting ready and comfortable on the road.

Nutrition wise, also on Alex's advice, I have been using Hammer Nutrition, both as a vitamin supplement (Premium Insurance Caps), on the road electrolyte drink (Heed lemon-lime) and post-ride recovery (recoverite).  I do not know much about such things, but in terms of how I feel, I certainly have no complaints aside from being a bit edgy/hyped up in the day to day.  Ola is putting up with it, but certainly I have a shorter fuse with the kids in the past few months while training than previous to getting on a bike.  Who knows…..



No comments:

Post a Comment